Intro Incentives WebCourse. 10-hour, online training course offered through the Council of Development Finance Agencies Training Institute. June 2016 and April 5-6, 2017.
Designing Smart Incentives for Business Attraction. Workshop prepared for the Heinz College Center for Economic Development at Carnegie Mellon University. April 2017.
Crafting Smart Incentives for Impact and Accountability. Training progam offered through the Institute for Public Administration at the University of Delaware. February 2016.
Articles and Publications
Redefining Economic Development Performance Indicators for a Field in Transition. Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness and Smart Incentives, 2017. This paper is a companion piece to the State Economic Development Performance Indicators White Paper.
Incentivizing an Increasingly Automated Manufacturing Sector: A Descriptive Analysis of U.S. States' Manufacturing Investment Promotion Programs. Prepared for Smart Incentives by Sarah Bauerle Danzman, Jacqueline Bauman, Michael Holmberg, Jonathan Hreha, Karis Neufeld, Anna Piskunova, Alex Resch, Jamie Spitz, Jocelyn Wallace, and Anna Williams at Indiana University Bloomington. December 2016.
State Economic Development Performance Indicators White Paper. Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness and Smart Incentives, 2016.
“New Disclosure Rules and the Future of Incentives.” IEDC Economic Development Journal. 15:3(19-25). 2016.
“Cost-Benefit Analysis of Investment Incentives.” In Rethinking Investment Incentives: Trends and Policy Options. Ed. Ana Teresa Tavares-Lehmann, Perrine Toledano, Lise Johnson, and Lisa Sachs. Columbia University Press. 2016. Learn more at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSTz9G7NO7g
Business Incentives Initiative, The Pew Charitable Trusts and Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness
Finance Program Study, Maryland Economic Development Corporation (with CREC)
Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation Management Review and Recommendations (with CREC)
Incentive Programs and Investment Partnerships, Business Leaders for Michigan
Moving the Growth Needle: An Assessment of Incentive Programs and Policies in El Paso (with CREC)
Due Diligence, Dayton Development Coalition
Economic Development Incentives Analysis, City of Kansas City, MO (with CDFA)
State Data Sharing Initiative, Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness
Please visit our SlideShare page to view or download some of our recent presentations.
- Measuring for Success - Monitoring Incentives Performance. C2ER Annual Conference, Denver, CO. June 2017
- Evaluating and Improving Tax Incentives. Lessons Learned. Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Economic Perspectives on State and Local Taxes, Cambridge, MA. May 2017.
- GASB Incentive Workshop. IEDC FED Forum, Washington, DC. April 2017.
- Grand Rapids, MI: Defining, aligning and building an equitable city. The Rose Center for Public Leadership in Land Use Technical Assistance Panel. March 2017.
- Exploring the Impact of GASB 77. CDFA//BNY Mellon Development Finance Webcast Series. March 2017.
- Equitable Economic Development with Incentives. NLC, ULI and PolicyLink Equitable Economic Development Fellowship. January 2017.
- Trends in Site Development and Incentives. NACo, NADO, ARC Technical Assistance Clinic, Building Stronger Communities in Appalachian Coal Country. January 2017.
- Tax Incentives: Exploring New Reporting & Disclosure Standards. CDFA Texas Financing Roundtable. September 2016.
- Using Incentives Effectively - the National Perspective, California Association for Local Economic Development. August 2016.
- The Future of Incentives. IEDC Federal Economic Development Forum, Arlington, VA. April 2016.
- Key Features for Program and Organizational Oversight: Methods for Evaluating Economic Development Activities. Testimony to the California Assembly Committee on Jobs, Economic Development and the Economy. Hon. Eduardo Garcia, Chair. March 2016.
- Evaluate and Maximize Your Return on Incentives, IEDC Webinar. January 2016.
- Discussion of But-For in Incentive Use, Interim Study Committee on Fiscal Policy, Indiana General Assembly, October 2015.
- Incentives 101: A Practical Framework for Successful Economic Development, Texas Economic Development Council, September 2015.
- Incentive Return on Investment Workshop, Washington, DC. September 2015.
- Framing the National Incentives Discussion, CDFA Webcast. August 2015.
- A Better Way to Ensure Smart Incentive, NCSL Legislative Summit, Seattle, WA. August 2015.
- Incentive Project Transparency and Accountability Workshop, Minneapolis, MN. July 2015.
- Business Incentives Data Collection and Management Workshop, Portland, OR. June 2015.
- Using Incentives Effectively – the National Perspective, California Association for Local Economic Development. April 2015.
- Reducing Risk and Achieving Better Outcomes with Incentives, Texas Economic Development Council 2015 Legislative Conference, Austin, TX. February 2015.
- Smart Incentives & Technology Workshop, CDFA National Finance Summit, Scottsdale, AZ. November 2014.
- Best Practices in Incentive Due Diligence, IEDC Annual Conference, Fort Worth, TX. October 2014.
- Economic Development: Better Returns with Smart Incentives, NCSL Jobs Summit, San Jose, CA, September 2014.
- Planning, Metrics & Reporting – Focus on Incentives, Virginia Economic Developers Association Summer Meeting, Lynchburg, VA. June 2014.
- Financing and Incentives for Sustainability Priorities, Makeover Montgomery II, Silver Spring, MD. May 2014.
- Compliance, Evaluation & Sound Decisions for Smart Incentives, CDFA//BNY Mellon Development Finance Webcast Series. March 2014.
- Using Incentives to Achieve Community Goals. Economic Development Financing Tools session, National League of Cities Congress of Cities, Seattle, WA. November 2013.
- Build A Smart Incentives Package: Community Impact Models, IEDC Webinar. May 2013.
- Research Tools and Methods to Assess Incentive Applicants, C2ER Annual Conference, Nashville, TN. May 2013.